Friday 19 September 2008

S is for...

Stained Glass Windows

from the Royal Chapel in Loches

I have had a love for staring at stained-glass windows since I was a child looking at the square bits of coloured glass in church instead of listening to the sermon.  It was a Protestant Kirk, though, so there were no pretty pictures anyway, just, you know, squares bits of coloured glass!

There's something about the light that shines through coloured glass that has me spell-bound - whether by small portals like the ones above, or the magnificent windows you find in cathedrals. 

 Tours Cathedral

St Donat chapel windows

 reflections on the Grand Hall floor in Blois Château

 another from Tours cathedral

 more from St Donat

 
 and another from Blois

I'm currently touring with a rather special early music orchestra through The Netherlands, Belgium and France, so there's bound to be some more stained glass beauties to discover!

4 comments:

sloth-knits Friday 19 September 2008 at 16:36:00 BST  

The windows are beautiful! When I was singing in a church in Providence, RI, I could see coloured sunbeams lighting up the dust in the air. It was really awesome.

Library Secretary Monday 22 September 2008 at 23:55:00 BST  

Nice pics, sis. :-)

Iron Needles Wednesday 24 September 2008 at 15:40:00 BST  

Ahhhh....my S is going to be stained glass, too! But of a different variety...

Lovely photos, and I share your views!

ktb38 Sunday 28 September 2008 at 03:38:00 BST  

The photos are amazing! I love them!

Mair Bloag Weejits

Footerin' Aboot

Footerin' Aboot
Heh! I'm so funny!

  © Blogger template 'Tranquility' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP