Tuesday 21 April 2009

H is for...

Holy

mmm - i loves me some stained glass

Now, you and I both know that I'm not the most religious person on the planet, but when it come to singing concerts in churches, I'm there and a-clicking with holy abandon.  Well, between rehearsals and the concert, at any rate.  I haven't yet mastered the art of kinnearing folks mid-concert, but it's not, I have to admit, through lack of trying.  I may have to invest in a smaller camera...

The past few weeks have seen me wearing out my camera batteries in four churches - three local and one in Burgundy: Eglise Saint-Denis in Amboise; Eglise Sainte-Catherine-de-Fierbois; Eglise Saint-Aignan sur Cher and the final one was in the Eglise Saint-Martin in Chapaize.  Beautiful churches, all
.

eglise saint denis in the background                     eglise saint-martin


eglise saint-aignan sur cher

And I don't seem to have an exterior piccie of Sainte-Catherine... It was lovely, but you'll just have to take my word on the matter!


Then, of course, we have the interiors... so much GORGEOUS stained glass that I was in a frenzy to take photos in the breaks before the sun went down.  And incredible interiors with beautiful stone-work, too...


saint-aignan

saint-denis


But it will come as no surprise that it was the stained glass that caught my lens the most:











I do loves me some stained glass!  I felt I had to stock up on the prettiness, as the next few concerts will be in halls, rather than churches...  Still, one lives in hope...  Maybe I should use my love of stained glass to design some socks!  Oh YES!  Well, designing that would certainly keep me busy between rehearsals!  Heh!

p.s. new (non-stained-glass) sock pattern coming soon!  Well, soonish, anyway...

4 comments:

Susan Tuesday 21 April 2009 at 23:29:00 BST  

Beautiful, you get to go to the prettiest places. I had an art history class in college a bazillion years ago and the professor spent most of the semester on churches. All I remember is groined vaults.

Diane Wednesday 22 April 2009 at 21:07:00 BST  

As beautiful as the windows are, I bet they were even more spectacular "in real life." I really enjoy these glimpses you give us of the places you go; keep going!

Iron Needles Saturday 25 April 2009 at 15:26:00 BST  

These just take my breath away... and make me want to take a tour of Europe.

Minding My Own Stitches Tuesday 28 April 2009 at 16:29:00 BST  

You've been awarded a "One Lovely Blog" award

Mair Bloag Weejits

Footerin' Aboot

Footerin' Aboot
Heh! I'm so funny!

  © Blogger template 'Tranquility' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP