Thursday 13 August 2009

O is for...

Oops...

What with concerts in Brittany and slight attacks of vertigo, my poor Wronicles have been somewhat neglected as of late.
But, true to form, I have photos of stained-glass.  Many photos of stained glass, in fact.  I may have to treat myself to some extra memory for my poor overladen computer in the near future.

So, Brittany, eh?  Indeed.  In the rather lovely fortified port town of Saint-Malo. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to have a wander around the town, which is a royal shame, as the fortress, ramparts and ancient architecture had me drooling as we drove past them to the cathedral.  Or the
Cathédrale Saint-Vincent-de-Saragosse de Saint-Malo to give it its full title.  Bit of a mouthful, but quite the cathedral!

the rose window from the altar


We were singing Domenico Scarlatti's 'Stabat Mater' for 10 voices here, and it was an absolute pleasure.  (I'd never performed, never mind heard this piece before, and was blown away - I'd recommend listening to the recording by The Immortal Bach Ensemble, directed by Morten Shuldt-Jensen on Naxos.) The accoustics weren't too boomy in the cathedral, considering we were in the middle of an extremely large building and being in the crossing, we weren't hampered by anything that could have dampened the sound.  Rather pleasant, on the whole!

But I didn't let this singing thing get in way of my cameratic photophying! 

old-style windows
new-style windows (totally in my colours - nom!)

old-style windows

new-style...  yeah, you get the picture!
(feel free to click on the piccies to get a bigger view...)

I was click-happy, but have to admit that quite a few photos didn't come out.  I try not to use flash most of the time, as it just flattens everything out, and you get a false light relation, but there was one photo of one of the side chapels that turned out looking like a painting by Vermeer:

just lacking period dress and a jug-toting milkmaid

Yes, I know, it's just the colours and the light spilling in the windows, but it's quite pretty never-the-less!

But back to ye olde-grindstone.  I've just started work on a new alcoholic sock...  something a little fruitier this time...  ;-)

2 comments:

Susan Monday 17 August 2009 at 03:23:00 BST  

Beautiful pictures, as always but the last one's colors remind me of the colors from the Dutch masters. Really beautiful.

Library Secretary Monday 24 August 2009 at 14:54:00 BST  

Gorgeous!!!!

Mair Bloag Weejits

Footerin' Aboot

Footerin' Aboot
Heh! I'm so funny!

  © Blogger template 'Tranquility' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP